Drake hasn’t been atop the charts now for three weeks! While he had a shot to reclaim former glory, Suicide Squad kept the no. 1 spot warm for a second straight week. Who scored the highest debut? That would be PARTYNEXTDOOR, a Drake protégé (no. 3). While Suicide Squad and Views seems to be ruining other artists’/albums’ chances at nos. 1 & 2, there are plenty of interesting chart stories to absorb this week. The Billboard 200 dated September 3, 2016, here we go!
- Suicide Squad: The Album retains the crown – it spends a second consecutive week at no. 1 on the Billboard 200.
- Drake (Views) spends a third consecutive week at no. 2. Is the party over for Drizzy?
- PARTYNEXTDOOR, a Drake protégé, sees PARTYNEXTDOOR 3 (P3) debut at no. 3, his highest charting position.
- Justin Moore takes Kinda Don’t Care to no. 4.
- Rae Sremmurd scores a second top-10 album with Sremmlife 2, which debuts at no. 7. The platinum-certified The Sremmlife rebounds from no. 152 to no. 126 in its 85th charting week.
- Young The Giant sadly misses the top-10. Home of the Strange debuts at no. 12 on the Billboard 200.
- DJ Snake sees Encore slip 10 spots in its second week (no. 8 to no. 18).
- Alternative/Underground rap duo Atmosphere takes Fishing Blues to no. 22.
- Soundtrack Stranger Things, Volume One: A Netflix Original Series debuts at no. 24.
- The Amity Affliction’s latest LP, This Could Be Heartbreak debuts quietly at no. 26.
- Skillet takes a bit of a tumble. Unleashed slides from no. 3 to no. 25. OUCH!
- Cody Jinks’ I’m Not the Devil debuts at no. 39.
- The RCA-List debuts at no. 44.
- Country newcomer Dylan Scott doesn’t receive the warmest of welcomes. Dylan Scott debuts lackadaisically at no. 46.
- Daya sees EP Daya jump 38 spots from no. 105 to no. 67.
- Lil Uzi Vert’s The Perfect LUV Tape debuts at no. 68.
- Blind Pilot’s And Then Like Lions debuts at no. 79.
- Housefires’ Housefires III debuts at no. 106.
- Fantasia has another horrific week. The Definition Of… plunges 44 spots from no. 66 to no. 110. The album has charted just three weeks, debuting at no. 6.
- Dan + Shay see their latest album Obsessed improve 21 spots from no. 132 to no. 111. Obsessed debuted at no. 8.
- Jake Owen has an even worse week than Fantasia does. American Love free falls from no. 50 to no. 112. American Love started at no. 4 three weeks ago.
- Maxwell continues a horrific chart run. BlackSUMMERS’night slides from no. 103 to no. 167. It’s charted only seven weeks.
- Marc E. Bassy sees thrilling EP Groovy People fall 28 spots from no. 148 to no. 176.
- The Cadillac Three free fall in week two. Bury Me in My Boots slips from no. 34 to no. 182.
- Chris Lane had a tepid debut with Girl Problems at no. 55. This week, the debut from the country singer slides dramatically to no. 188.
An expanded version of 25 Chart Takeaways (BB Grooves) appears on The Musical Hype every Wednesday.
Photo Credit: Atlantic