Kendrick Lamar (‘DAMN.’) spends a third week at no. 1 on the Billboard 200 while DJ Khaled (“I’m the One”) debuts at no. 1 on the Hot 100.
For a third consecutive week, Kendrick Lamar holds onto the no. 1 spot on the Billboard 200. DAMN. continues to perform with considerable strength. Gorillaz (Humanz) performed well, but settled for no. 2. Others made a splash on the Billboard 200 as well. Mary J. Blige lands at no. 3 with Strength of a Woman, while Willie Nelson debuts at no. 10. On the Billboard Hot 100, DJ Khaled earns the rare debut at no. 1 with “I’m the One.” “I’m the One” features a star-studded cast. All said and done, there are plenty of takeaways from the Billboard 200 and Billboard Hot 100 dated May 20, 2017.
Billboard 200 Takeaways
1. Kendrick Lamar spends a third consecutive week at no. 1 with DAMN.
2. Gorillaz settles for no. 2 with its fifth studio album, Humanz. To date, Gorillaz has yet to earn a no. 1 album on the Billboard 200. Notably, Demon Days (2005) improves from no. 193 to no. 84 in its 71st charting week.
3. Mary J. Blige reclaims some of her mojo with Strength of a Woman, which debuts at no. 3. Strength of a Woman marks Blige’s first top-three album since Stronger with Each Tear debuted at no. 2 back in 2009.
4. Willie Nelson starts at no. 10 with God’s Problem Child. Not bad for an 84-year old.
5. John Mellencamp just misses the top 10. Sad Clowns & Hillbillies, featuring Carlene Carter, starts at no. 11.
6. Wale flops… Shine starts unimpressively at no. 16. The MC’s previous two albums both debuted at no. 1…
7. Lea Michele misses the mark on Places, which debuts at no. 28.
8. After an unimpressive start, Brad Paisley’s run with Love and War continues to be unimpressive. The album slides from no. 13 to no. 42.
9. Feist didn’t exactly light up the charts this week. Pleasure debuts modestly at no. 91.
10. Incubus = epic fail. Not the band itself, but album 8, which free falls from no. 4 to no. 127.
Hot 100 Jewels
- DJ Khaled debuts at no. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with “I’m the One,” featuring Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, and Lil Wayne.
- Bruno Mars sees “That’s What I Like” slip from no. 1 to no. 2.
- Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee ascend from no. 4 to no. 3 with “Despacito,” featuring Justin Bieber.
- Imagine Dragons sees “Believer” rise 17 spots from no. 37 to no. 20. “Thunder” debuts at no. 70.
- Logic sees “1-800-273-8255,” featuring Alessia Cara and Khalid, debut at no. 61.
- Darius Rucker is on the rise with “If A Told You,” which ascends from no. 94 to no. 62.
- Kygo & Ellie Goulding debut at no. 67 with “First Time.”
- Katy Perry takes “Bon Appétit” (featuring Migos) to a no. 76 debut.
- Chris Brown debuts at no. 87 with “Privacy.”
- Niall Horan debuts at no. 90 with “Slow Hands.”