The first American Idol victor has been able to establish a career beyond the show. This week, Kelly Clarkson lands her third number one album. That and many more chart takeaways worth examining!
1) Kelly Clarkson scores her third number one album with Piece By Piece. The numbers – sales and overall impact – are down significantly from previous efforts.
2) Fifty Shades of Grey returns to its peak position on the Billboard 200 – #2.
3) Taylor Swift rebounds from #5 to #3. 1989 still has plenty of juice to say the least.
4) It’s “all good” for Drake as If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late remains at #4.
5) Big Sean’s Dark Sky Paradise dips from #1 to #6 in its second week.
6) Brandi Carlile’s The Firewatcher’s Daughter debuts at #9, which is “good looking out” for singer/songwriter album by all means.
7) Kid Rock’s latest album First Kiss drops from #2 to #11 in its second week on the Billboard 200.
8) Imagine Dragons’ Smoke + Mirrors drops out of the top ten this week (#9 to #14).
9) Beck sees his Morning Phase ascend back into the top echelon of the charts. It rises from #57 to #19.
10) Third Day’s Lead Us Back: Songs of Worship debuts at #20.
11) Chris Brown & Tyga’s Fan Of A Fan: The Album doesn’t have a stellar second week, dropping from #7 to #24. Ouch!
12) British pop and contemporary R&B boy band Rixton debut album Let The Road lands at #32.
13) Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds sophomore album Chasing Yesterday debuts modestly at #35.
14) Childish Gambino’s Because The Internet rises from #121 to #43 this week.
15) Shania Twain’s live album, Shania: Still The One: Live From Vegas debuts modestly at #58. Interestingly, Twain’s Greatest Hits reenters the charts at #130 in it’s 72nd week after formerly peaking at #2.
16) Kid Ink finally has some good news, albeit modest – Full Speed improves from #76 to #65.
17) Terrible second week for Falling In Reverse. Just Like You slips 50 spots from #21 to #71.
18) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part I soundtrack improves from #127 to #78 in its 16th week on the chart. Go Katniss!
19) It’s an Anomaly! Christian rapper Lecrae sees his former chart-topping album improve from #165 to #83. What a blessing indeed!
20) Schoolboy Q had a nice week as Oxymoron improved 88 spots from #178 to #90. Now that’s what one calls “Los Awesome.”
21) George Ezra gets a small victory as Wanted On Voyage improves from #112 to #101.
22) Iggy Azalea’s The New Classic reenters the Billboard 200 at #108, marking it’s 42nd week on the charts.
23) Charlie Wilson it’s not your week this week – and it’s never been with Forever Charlie. Forever Charlie slips from #68 to #123 in its sixth week on the chart.
24) No celebrations this week for Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga as Cheek To Cheek slips from #51 to #132.
25) Sales generally continue to be modest for Father John Misty. Sadly, I Love You, Honeybear slips from #115 to #162 this week, only four short weeks in on the charts.