Nick Jonas said it best: “It’s my right to be hellish / I still get jealous.” Yes, “Jealousy” is certainly sinful and can land you in, well Hell. But this playlist-driven post really isn’t about jealousy, Biblical matters, or even as much about hell itself other than each song title features ‘hell’ in it (or in the case of Drake’s “HYFR,” it stands for the word hell). Here’s 12 Hellish songs – make sure to repent after reading and listening!
1) AC/DC, “Highway To Hell” (Highway To Hell, 1979)
“Hey Satan / paying my dues / playing in a rock band…” Yep, judging by the lyrics of the AC/DC classic, the band seems to have their tickets booked for the fiery pit. They screwed, or should I say, they’re damned…
2) Pink Floyd, “Run Like Hell” (The Wall, 1979)
“Feel the bile rising from your guilty past / while your nerves in tatters / as the cockle shell shatters / and the hammer batter down the door / you better run.” Pink Floyd definitely make you feel uncomfortable with the lyrics of “Run Like Hell,” so much so that you do want to run. Ah, the realistic nature of the concept album/track.
3) Drake featuring Lil Wayne, “HYFR” (Take Care, 2011)
What do you get when you put Drake and Lil Wayne on the track? Helpings of raunchiness – and of course an epic collaboration. Although the questions raised in the hook might annoy Drake and Wayne, the bold answer is, well explicit: “Hell yeah…f*cking right.”
4) All American Rejects, “Gives You Hell” (When The World Comes Down, 2008)
Ten words: “When you see my face / hope it gives you hell.”
5) Kanye West, “Hell Of A Life” (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Family, 2010)
Apparently, Kanye West doesn’t need anymore excesses in his life: “No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need / Grab my hand and baby we’ll live a hell of a life.”
6) Eminem featuring Dr. Dre, “Hell Breaks Loose” (Relapse: Refill, 2009)
“Hell Breaks Loose” is a solid additional track on the reissued version of Eminem’s Relapse, Relapse Refill. It describes the unapologetic, controversial MC perfectly. Because “Shady came and just crushed the game /It’s really not even fair to them, cause they pale in comparison…”
7) Schoolboy Q, “Hell Of A Night” (Oxymoron, 2014)
Party time: “When the sun falls, then the moon lights, might be a hell of a night.”
8) A$AP Rocky featuring Santigold, “Hell” (Long.Live.A$AP, 2013)
According to A$AP Rocky, “Heaven need a villain like Hell need a newer idol.”
9) Avril Lavigne, “What The Hell” (Goodbye Lullaby, 2011)
“All my life I’ve been good but now / I’m thinking ‘What the hell’ / All I want is to mess around…” So, she wants to hook up with no strings attached?
10) The Black Keys, “Hell of a Season” (El Camino, 2011)
Those Kentucky Wildcats became 14-0 as of a much closer than expected victory versus the Ole Miss Rebels (89-86 OT). Random, but the title of The Black Keys joint is “Hell of a Season,” right? 14-0 is a great start.
11) Raphael Saadiq, “Go To Hell” (Stone Rollin, 2010)
In the case of Raphael Saadiq, he’s trying to avoid the fiery pit: “Here’s the situation, the devil knows me well / see I’m trying to do my best, not to go to hell.”
12) Marilyn Manson, “Birds of Hell Awaiting” (The Pale Emperor, 2015)
You can’t have a ‘hell’ list and not have Marilyn Manson included, right? “Birds of Hell Awaiting” hails from Manson’s 2015 album, The Pale Emperor (Available January 20).