2014 has had plenty of excellent music released, even if the sales haven’t shown it – understatement. Sure, most CDs weren’t flying off he shelves, but there were some standout musicians I’m truly thankful graced my iPod this year. Below are SOME the musicians I’m most thankful for and a statement of thanks.
1) Sam Smith, thank you for reminding us all just how badly unrequited love sucks. Sure the romance is a bust, but the memories “Stay With Me” for better or worse.
2) Taylor Swift, thank you for saving a “sinking ship” aka album sales. If it weren’t for you going ‘pop’ and releasing 1989, well, the industry would still be struggling for a multiplatinum album. Now we can “Shake It Off” that ‘no platinum albums’ bug.
3) Nicki Minaj, thank you for your continual ability to shock the world. The raunchiness of both “Anaconda” and “Only” had us all talking. “Oh my god, look at her butt!”
4) Logic, thanks for delivering a truly captivating debut album. Those of us who were fans of your mixtapes knew you would come through on Under Pressure. We are stuffed off your “Soul Food” and our stomachs are “Under Pressure.”
5) Big K.R.I.T., thanks for confirming to us why you are the “King of the South” on Cadillactica. Underrated you may be, but you’ve got a sick flow and old school, classic appeal.
6) Iggy Azalea, thank you for allowing us all to experience “Iggy SZN” all year. You had us all “Begging For It” and wanting to be “Fancy.”
7) Nick Jonas, thanks for the edgy solo album that we never expected a Jonas Bros to release. You had us all in “Chains” this fall.
8) Jeezy, thanks for keeping things all the way one hunna on Seen It All: The Autobiography. No BS to be found – none. We all learned that “that b*tch Beautiful.”
9) August Alsina, thank you for sharing your story on Testimony. Your “Benediction” was truly moving, accentuated with a dab of Rick Ross.
10) Pharrell Williams, thanks for making a fun, pop-oriented contemporary R&B album. G I R L has been on rotation all year long and made everybody truly “Happy.” All I can really say is “Come Get It Bae!”