Last week on the charts, Lady Antebellum managed to sell 167,000 copies of their fourth studio album, Golden. The nearest competition came via the soundtrack to The Great Gatsby, which debuted at no. 2 with 137,000 copies. BTW, a review of The Great Gatsby soundtrack will post tomorrow on brentmusicreviews.com.
Vampires, A Cowboy, and a Pop Star
Vampire Weekend got it done a second consecutive time. Modern Vampires of the City bowed at no. 1 on the Billboard Albums Chart with 134,000 copies sold. That is Vampire Weekend’s best sales week, surpassing the 124,000 start that 2010’s Contra was welcomed with. Those numbers also exceeded the expectations of prognostications that suggested the album would sell around 120,000 copies. Honestly, anyone who can sell six figures should be proud with the way music sells lately.
In a fight for no. 2, George Strait was victorious over Demi Lovato. What is more surprising is that George Strait seemed to be fighting for no. 1 given the 125,000 copies he moved of Love is Everything. Think about it, had Vampire Weekend underperformed, Strait may have added another no. 1 album to his collection. Lovato can cheer too as her album sold 110,000 copies, also her best week yet according to Billboard.
Who’s Got Next?
Several new albums materialized on Tuesday, May 21, including Daft Punk (Random Access Memories), French Montana (Please Excuse My French), The National (Trouble Will Find Me) and Darius Rucker (True Believers). Daft Punk look to be in a good position to do some damage while French Montana’s debut seems a bit under promoted. The National and Darius Rucker both have done well with their last album, so more of the same wouldn’t be unexpected.
- Chart Moves, May 15, 2013: Lady Antebellum, Gatsby and Now (brentmusicreviews.com)
- On The Charts: Vampire Weekend’s Second No. 1 Album (klli.cbslocal.com)
- Country Radio Chart Report: Tuesday May 21, 2013: George Strait Scores 60th No. 1 Hit, While Darius Rucker Racks Up No. 6 (roughstock.com)
- the sounds of: an npr interview with Vampire Weekend (circlecitytwentysix.wordpress.com)
- Country Album Chart News For May 22, 2013: George Strait “Love Is Everything” Sits At #1; Trace Adkins “Love WillNLG,” Debuts In Top 10 (roughstock.com)
- Darius Rucker True Believers Available Now (countrymusicnewsblog.com)
- Review: Vampire Weekend, ‘Modern Vampires of the City’ (brentmusicreviews.com)
- Five Vampire Weekend Songs You Should Hear Right Now (5takeaways.wordpress.com)